What is Whiplash?
- Whiplash occurs when the neck and head are suddenly forced backward and then forward, putting the cervical spine through fast motions and extreme stresses.
Most cases of whiplash are due to motor vehicle accidents (MVAs), usually when the person has been rear-ended in their vehicle. However, Whiplash is NOT exclusive to MVAs.There are others causes that can still put the cervical spine through the same stresses as an MVA. These include:
- Sport-related activities
- Falls while skiing
- Other high-impact activities
Symptoms of Whiplash
- Neck pain. Typically, neck pain from whiplash is caused by ligament sprains or muscle strains, but it can also be caused by injuries to discs, nerves, joints, and/or bones.
- Neck stiffness or reduced range of motion. Reduced neck mobility could be from pain, tightening of a muscle, or a mechanical problem, such as with a joint.
- Headache. A neck muscle tightening, or a nerve or joint of the cervical spine becoming irritated could cause headaches.
- Neck instability. This usually results from stretched or torn soft tissues, such as ligaments.
- Shoulder and/or upper back pain. If the neck’s soft tissues, such as muscles or ligaments have been stressed during a whiplash associated event, then sometimes that pain can also be referred to other soft tissues in the upper back and shoulders.
- Radiating tingling, weakness, or numbness. Sometimes whiplash can cause one of the neck’s spinal nerve roots to become compressed or inflamed, which can lead to symptoms of tingling, weakness, and/or numbness radiating down the shoulder, arm, hand, and/or fingers.
How Chiropractic Care Can Help
At Avenida Wellness, we provide low force, instrument-assisted adjusting to help resolve your whiplash-related injury. Our Chiropractic techniques will align the joints and help restore your neck’s proper range of motion. Each visit is unique, as we only adjust what your body allows us to at the time. This essentially gives your body the permission to heal itself, as it was designed to do.
We offer a range of different services that will cater to your needs and expectations. Call or visit us today and let us help you be free from pain and discomfort. You can reach us by phone at 403-271-6611 or email at email@example.com